Post Processing



In lightroom, do you find yourself repeating the same steps for all of your images?  You know, like sharpening, color adjustments, etc.  After shooting with my Nikon for so many years, I’ve noticed there are several adjustments that I make to each image BEFORE I really start editing.  To save myself some time, I created a profile unique to my Nikon D90 as a starting spot for my editing process.  To do this you simply choose a photo in the Develop Module, then make those adjustments.  

I always start with the Lens Correction Tab and enable profile corrections and remove Chromatic Aberration.  Then I move to the Detail Tab and adjust  to this:


Next is the HLS/Color Tab.  I don’t care for “neon” greens so I adjust the Green Hue to +5, the Green Saturation to -25 and the Green Luminance to -16.  This is all based on your personal preference.

I shoot Kelvin White Balance so in the Basic Panel I set the WB to “As Shot” and make adjustments with the WB tool if necessary.  I like contrast in my images so I increase contrast, decrease highlights and increase shadows, and decrease the blacks.  Since I shoot still life, I like nice crisp shots, so I increase the clarity slightly and add a touch of dehaze.  I also like slightly muted tones in my shots so I reduce saturation overall slightly.


Once you have your settings where you want them, in the Develop Module choose Develop from the Menu and then Set Default Settings.  Click Update to Current Settings and you’re done.  Whew….that seems like a lot of work, but it really saves time when editing.

Now you can begin the creative side of your editing.  This particular image is extremely underexposed.  


In LR I increased the exposure and added a little more contrast and clarity.  I shot this using a high ISO so I also increased the color noise reduction to +25 in the detail tab.  I cropped to a 4 x 5 ratio using the rule of thirds.  Now I’m ready to take it into Photoshop for some final adjustments.


So obviously with this photo, I wasn’t paying all that great attention to my background  .  In PS I used the “Content Aware Fill Tool” and the Clone Stamp to fix that.


Just as with LR, there are adjustments I make to my images in PS.  I like to emphasize the light in the photo so I always add an overlay from Jessica Drossin’s Lightscaping Overlays called Awakening.  Once this is placed and adjusted to where I want the light in the image, I change the blend mode to soft light.  Sometimes this overlay adds too much yellow so I add a Hue/Saturation layer,  pin it to the overlay so that it is the only layer affected, and reduce the saturation.


Next I duplicate the background layer, make it a smart object and apply a high pass filter.  This adds a bit more sharpness to the photo.  The reason I make it a smart object is to have control over the amount of sharpening.  I can double-click on the layer and adjust the amount of the radius of the high pass filter.

In some cases, adding “awakening” to the photo eliminates shadows (which I love in my shots).  If that is the case I add a Curves Adjustment Layer and pull down the midpoint slightly.  This adds depth to the image.



My final adjustment is a Curves Adjustment Layer to mute the blacks.  I love that slight “filmy” look to my images and I find this is the best way to produce that.


Once I’m satisfied with the image, I save it back into LR where I export the final image to a .jpg file for posting or printing. 


So there you have it…..my editing process in a nutshell.  😊  If you made it all the way through that thanks for hanging.   I’d love to hear from you about your editing process.  Please leave me a note in the comments section.





You Might Also Like

0 Comments